Use Gerry's following tips to improve your swing and get in the game.
- The #1 power source for all golfers is the proper use of the ground or foot work then using the ground to coil push and drive your entire right side for a right handed golfer through impact. You must keep your head back behind the ball at impact.Let the Club fully release with the turn. This is one of the basic fundamentals of the modern golf swing that I teach.
- Turn the left shoulder in the tilt for a right handed player. Learn to coil around a solid base and turn into the right hip while pushing into the ground with your right foot, keeping your right knee flexed on the backswing. Do not slide your right hip COIL IT. Coiling will build power and help you explode through impact.
- Stretch your shoulders, back, and hips often as they are the primary muscles used to build club head speed. Flexibility is more important than strength in most cases.
- Speed is the Most important factor in putting. Speed in many cases determines line. Never, ever leave a putt short because they never go in. As they say, “never up, never in”. Always play aggressively.
- Master the game from 110 yards and in. Being adept at the short game is the fastest way to lower your score. Chip, pitch, and putt with very soft hands. Visualization is key here. See where you want the ball to go. Simple right!
- Start the downswing with a transferring of your weight to your left hip. A bump or lateral slide if you will so most all your momentum of your wight transfers to your left foot. Then turn toward the target, letting your arms, hands, and finally, the club head explode through impact. Remember you MUST turn your shoulders and chest through. Your Shoulders and Chest are never as fast as your hips if you use your hips correctly.
- Grip the golf club very lightly. Tension will decrease club head speed, and therefore, kill your power. The body MUST PULL the club through impact in the correct plane. Using your arms and hands for power will be very inconsistent at best.
- Once you have set the club at the top of the swing, Preferably with a flat or bowed left wrist. This will depend on your grip. The lower body primarily induces the downswing movement. Your feet knees hips and abdominals provide the majority of the power, BALANCE is the key here.You should almost always end with a flat left foot totally balanced on your left side at finish.
- When putting, always envision your intended line first. Then Speed should be your #1 concern. Use a pendulum Shoulder stroke with no break in the wrists. Keep your lower body still and slightly left sided. Remember to keep your hands constant on the putter grip. Speed determines line in most cases. Always see your intended number on the hole. See my Oneputts putting system if you do not understand this.
- One of the most important aspects of the modern golf swing is to develop a proper swing plane. A club that goes outside or inside of this plane will usually strike the ball inconsistently down the target line. The efficiency of the modern golf swing will not only be much more consistent. You will hit the ball farther and be less subject to injury.